Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Whole Different Animal


My cab driver, Ken, who resembles a younger and bigger Danny Glover, leans back in his seat as we pull away from my house. Ken’s seat is so far back we are almost sitting next to each other. His Bluetooth headset illuminates his diamond earring as it blinks blue. “Where you headed today?” I tell him that I am heading to Denver. “Ahh, the convention. Barack screwed up. It’s over, man. McCain won.” His reference to Obama’s choice of Joe Buh-buh-binden for VP continued with “he’s just another white guy, shoulda picked Hillary.” I have a feeling there will be many folks sharing Ken’s sentiments. I wonder if Ken got the text, I forgot to ask.

I’m flying Frontier Airlines, the wildlife themed airline that features pictures of bunnies and other fluffy creatures on its planes. Their slogan is “A Whole Different Animal” – Mrrrrow! Since their online check-in wasn’t working I have to stand in line to check-in for the flight. Seems like every time I have to stand in line to check-in, I stuck behind a family with 6 kids and 20 pieces of luggage which are all over the per-bag weight limit. Today, I am behind 2 families like this. Kids are running all around, bags are everywhere. Thankfully, they didn’t start to unpack and rearrange like most do.

The plane has TVs that you can watch satellite programming for $5.99. They allow you to watch for free during takeoff. Obama’s first rally with Joe Biden is on CNN. Obama has been speaking for about 5 minutes and is just about ready to bring Biden on stage when the TV shuts off. The free trial is over. I try to swipe my card to continue, it won’t work. I was so close. With the TV now off, all I can hear is the whimpering puppy behind me and the screeching kid across the aisle. Something smells. I think one of the aforementioned has gone to the bathroom.

They just announced that margaritas are available for six dollars. Also listed on the in-flight snack menu is Hector’s “Nacho Ordinary” Chips. It goes on to say “Hector (apparently a Mexican grizzly bear) himself chose this salty favorite: crisp, crunchy chips dusted with nacho cheesy goodness. Gracias, Hector” Margaritas and a bear named Hector? I’m not getting the Mexican/wildlife connection. “A whole different nationality of animal.”

Our landing was perfect, I think that is a first for any flight I have had into Denver. I now wait for my co-worker Spencer Platt to arrive and then we will take our soccer mom van to the hotel. Welcome to Denver.

No comments: