Sunday, August 24, 2008

The DNC






I’m trying to watch the news on my TV at the Extended Stay America hotel but I can’t hear what is being said. The volume on my TV only goes up to 4. Not 11 like Nigel’s amp in Spinal Tap. Our hotel, which we affectionately call the “Final Stay in America” is surprisingly better than expected. I had found a few reviews online that were overwhelmingly negative and many had described the hotel as “disgusting” and “the worst place I have ever stayed at in my life.” I have to say, I have stayed at much worse. It’s basically a Motel 6, not the run down crack house that I expected.

Today was our big test day at the Pepsi Center. After spending nearly a half an hour going through security into the heavily guarded fortress that surrounds the Pepsi Center, we began our set up. We had to put our system through the motions to see how it is going to respond under the pressure of several tethered cameras. We have multiple positions throughout the venue that are hardwired into a server that instantly sends the photos to an editor as we shoot. At the same time, we all fire our cameras, taking pictures of workers and the big game show-like stage. People are setting up signs in the areas that delegates will sit. Secret Service is strategically postitioned around the stage. After several rounds of testing, our system appears ready for action.

After a few hours, we all milled around the center shooting features. Today is the final set up day for the stage techs and members of the media to sort out technical bugs and make final preparations for the start of the convention tomorrow. The networks have several positions throughout the hall, Katie Couric is doing her evening news program live from the convention floor. Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper are also in the house. Walking through the bowels of Pepsiland, I get stuck behind a group of young women who are working for CNN and are wearing t-shirts that have “RUNNER” on the back. They are walking – slowly.

The food situation is sketchy. Until the vendors open for business in the hall, the only option within the secure zone is a carnival style grease wagon that sells hot dogs and typical county fair items or a Circle K gas station food mart. I went for the 2 for $2.29 hot dogs at the Circle K and gave one to my boss. Slim pickens.

The day was long, just as tomorrow will be. Was good to see so many of my friends and hope to see more in the coming days. The big show starts in the morning, bright and early. We will leave the Final Stay at 7 a.m. to get through security and be ready to go as Michelle Obama makes an early morning appearance at the hall for her sound check.

No comments: