Monday, October 20, 2008

You Got Pink'd

It seems like wherever I go across this country I keep seeing the same person over and over again. Code Pink founder Madea Benjamin is everywhere. And wherever she is, she’s getting arrested. This woman must have a zillion frequent flier miles and a rap sheet longer than Pacman Jones. How does she do it? I’ve seen her in New York, Denver, Minneapolis, Boston, and of course, all over San Francisco.

Ms. Benjamin popped up today at the Mortgage Broker’s Association annual conference. I real snooze fest of an event. I was there to cover the new CEOs of the companies that you and I partially own, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Thanks to that bailout a few months back, we get to use our taxes on buying up businesses. We also have an insurance company. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be in on a mortgage company AND an insurance company. And I thought home ownership was as good as it got.
Anyway, The Fannie and Freddie CEOs were doing this panel discussion and all of the sudden a woman walks out and whispers something into the moderator’s ear. I was watching this go down and really thought nothing of it. I assumed that it was a stage manager telling him to wrap it up or something. All of the sudden, she turns and I see that it’s Medea. Of course, I had been shooting something in the dark part of the room and my camera settings were not right for the stage so I fumbled with that for a minute. She started blurting out her opposition to the bailout and something about foreclosures. What was incredible about this Madea sighting was the fact that she was mic’d and her message was going over the event’s sound system. So, not only did she get on the stage from backstage, she hacked into their sound system.

It took over two minutes for the security people to get their acts together and get her off stage. Madea is a crazy one, but man, she sure does know how to infiltrate just about any venue.

No comments: