Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An Apple A Day, Or At Least Every Few Months

I don’t know what my problem is. I am always way too early for assignments. For the second day in a row I left the house before the sun was up. I guess I was a little nervous that there would be a huge media mob at the Apple event. The press check-in was scheduled to open at 9:30 so I figured I would get there an hour early. Why? I don’t know. There was about 5 of us there when I arrived. I could have slept for another half hour.

I’m covering an Apple product launch at their HQ in Cupertino, California. Steve Jobs is announcing a new line of revamped MacBooks, just in time for the Christmas shopping season. If anyone wants to buy me one of these new laptops, I think it would be a good gift. Just throwing it out there.

This is my first trip to the Apple mother ship. Looks like a fun place to work. The Apple folks are always really friendly. They even remember my name. That’s cool. The company is obviously doing well, the special product announcements are happening more often.
The new laptops are really nice looking and have some nice new features. The glass trackpad that is similar to the touch screen on an iPhone is pretty sweet. I always feel a little weird at the Apple events when I bust out my Dell laptop to file my pictures. I get nervous, like someone might scold me or something. So far that hasn’t happened. Maybe next time I will bring my iPod to balance things out.
Jobs still looks skinny. Not that I really expected him to be much different since the last time I saw him about a month ago. Maybe he is normal. Maybe he isn’t. Who knows. He did poke fun at himself again by showing a slide with his healthy blood pressure in response to a recent report that he had suffered a heart attack. I don’t know if it is fair to say he is dying because he is skinny. I used to be pretty skinny, now I’m not. I wasn’t dying when I was skinny. So, people change. My weight has changed so much in the past 10 years that one of those TSA guys at the airport in Minneapolis didn’t think I was the person on my driver’s license. He did a few double takes, pulled out that stupid little blue flashlight thing and then said, “that doesn’t look like you.” It’s an old picture, what can I say. California recycles your picture for years.

I’m Looking forward to Macworld in January and more new cool stuff from Apple. Maybe by then I will be skinny again. Steve, any diet tips would be much appreciated.

No comments: