Sunday, December 7, 2008

Product Review - Think Tank Shape Shifter Backpack

It was back in July when I first laid eyes on prototype of Think Tank Photo’s newest bag – the Shape Shifter expandable backpack. E.P.A. photographer John Mabanglo and I were attending one of our last design board meetings with Think Tank founders Doug Murdoch, Kurt Rogers and Deanne Fitzmaurice when Doug surprised us with the then unnamed backpack. John and I were smitten with this bag and we wanted to get our hands on one as soon as possible.

Luck came my way in early September when I was fortunate to receive a pre-production Shape Shifter. For the past three months I have been using it on a daily basis and am more than happy with this backpack.
As a news photographer who has to shoot and file on the run, this bag fits my needs perfectly. It is great when I have to go on the subway, plane or some other mode of public transport to an assignment and I don’t want to have cameras dangling from my shoulders. When I’m ready to work I don’t have to go through my assignment with a bulky empty backpack (like the Airport Antidote) on my back. No more knocking people over with my empty Antidote as I try to move through a crowd. Obviously, this won’t be a good fit for everyone since it is a relatively small backpack that won’t accommodate the long glass needed to shoot sports or wildlife. It is definitely geared towards a photojournalist or documentary photographer.
Here’s how it works. The backpack expands and compresses by way of a zipper that creates room to store your cameras (2 bodies and up to 3 lenses) when expanded. Your camera gear is held in five neoprene pouches that cinch at top with bungees. The laptop compartment has a removable Artificial Intelligence laptop case that can hold up to a 17 inch laptop and is included to add a little more protection. I haven’t used the case since the compartment has more than enough padding on its own.
The camera section gets a little tight when all of the pouches are loaded with cameras and lenses, but everything fits. I have been using mine with 2 bodies and 3 lenses, the 70-200, 24-70 and 16-35. The actual production models will be a little bit bigger to accommodate Nikon cameras and lenses, which are a tad bit longer than Canon. This should remedy the space issue. Also inside the camera section are two large mesh pockets that have zippers. Good for storing credentials, cards, pens and maybe condoms if you’re planning on getting lucky after your evening assignment.

There are even more pockets on the outside of the bag. The top part of the outside opens up to a good place to store your card reader, card wallet, air cards, notepad, cables and other gadgets. There is quite a bit of space in this storage area. Directly below is an even larger area that expands with even more zippered pockets. I haven’t used this area yet – I just don’t carry that much stuff. But, it’s good to know that they are there.

The padding feels nice on the back with a large area that allows air to flow through so you don’t get too hot with the backpack on. I’ve worn it out and about on warm days and never felt like my back was overheating like it does while wearing other backpacks. There is a support belt to use with heavy loads that easily tucks away into a pouch on the bottom or can be removed entirely when you don’t need the support. I really like this feature. There is nothing worse than dangling straps.

Do you like numbers? Here’s how the Shape Shifter adds up.

Outer Dimensions When Expanded:20”H x 12.5”W x 7”D”

Outer Dimensions When Compressed:20”H x 12.5W” x 3”D

Laptop Compartment Inner Dimensions:19” H x 12”W x 1.5”D

Weight:3.75 lbs

The Think Tank designers have hit a home run with this well thought out bag. The compression and contraction design definitely makes it a very versatile and unique. Like I said, it won’t suit the needs of every photographer out there, but it marriage made in heaven for newspaper, wire and documentary photographers. I also think it would be a great bag to take on vacation so you aren’t walking around the Venice canals displaying all of you precious camera gear. Definitely take a look at this bag which is on sale now for $249.

More information can be found HERE.

1 comment:

Patrick Smith said...

First off, "maybe condoms if you’re planning on getting lucky after your evening assignment." That was funny as hell, man.

Second, like you, I've been waiting patiently for this bag to be released. Checking TT site every Monday.

Finally got my order in. Hopefully it will be here this week. Thanks for sharing.

-Pat
http://blog.patricksmithphotos.com